Friday, December 09, 2011

Purblind Grotesquery

There was a sweet suite advertised.
                I think it said honeymoon
but it might have said holiday
                I said
                                Hey let us leave soon.
                “Lettuce?” she asked. 
“Let us,” I say “pray
                I am ready”  to go there. My back pack packed.
 
And so we go, blind
                into the night. 
                                I roll-down
                                                the
                                                steam-y
                                                                win-dow
                                and say Joan! I say,
                (not her name)
“the darkness sur-
                                rounds us, go faster!” I say
 
going a little faster,
                                the little white car in the big black night. 
                                                                                We were that car and it was us. 
                                                It's true.  You will become what you are meant to become
                                and we all become who we are.
 
                                                Purblind Grotesquery is the title of this poem
                                                about being
                                in that car,
(where not-seat-belted's an adjective) that night,
                too late but better late than
never “aw hell we won't be late for supper the way you're
                driving
we'll be late for Christmas!” I say, and take over.
                “Let's watch a movie,” she
                                                says.  Bobby.  Was that her name? She names one.
                “I hear it's a good one,” she says.  “You'd like it.”
I am Nietzsche's birds, I think.  I thought we were going to a hotel, I tell her.
                I like it when geese are in season
                                and at twilight, desperately trying to find a place near
                                                the water to land for the night.
                                I like the complimentary soap they give you (fine-less) in hotel bathrooms
                “Okay for
                christ's sake look lettuce watch a movie,” I say.
 
 
 look
                out where yr going! she hollers and
 
I don't even know when tomorrow is
though
                What wrong stellefaction?
                What wrong two more beer?
                What wrong with flowershapes in montage photography?
                What wrong a distant planet settled for the manufacture of egg mcmuffins?
                What wrong a child,
                                told for the first time at 18 that his mother loves him
                                                Who'd listen?!
                                That what wrong.
                What wrong the hump and rupture
                                boys

                                spitting syllable seeds all over the sad August dugout.
 
These things I remember as the car turns,
                                in the air
                                                spinning
                                                                spin
                                                it doesn't matter that
                                I am turning
                the wheel or that
she is screaming in slow motion
                upside
                                down
 
                We are
                                this car,
                                                bound to each other like
                                                                life and death inextricable.
                                                                                And what does it matter
                                                                where we was headed?
                                                What wrong not knowing?
                                We was headed there together, I believe
                I believe we was headed there
together.

Labels: , , , , , , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home